Sat, Jan 28|
Multimedia Journaling for New Year Reflection with Julie Hotz
Use photographs, writing, scans, and sketches to reflect on what's behind us and bring a guiding theme into our coming year in words, actions, and art.
Jan 28, 2023, 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM PST
Though pictures are worth 1000 words, they don't tell us everything. Whether in the moment or in retrospect, adding more context to the photographs we take can add immense detail that we don't want to forget, and/or add unique visual and written components to a medium we are used to seeing alone or only paired with a small caption.
Inspired by Julie Hotz's work as a photographer and her deep love of graphic (novel) memoirs, she loves bringing together photographs, writing, scans, and sketches. As we ease into the new year, Julie will be leading her popular Multimedia Journaling workshop with a seasonal spin. In this session, we will be journaling and reflecting on the past year (or season) and doing written and visual exercises on bringing a self-selected guiding theme into our coming year/season in words, actions, and art.
Bring a photo from this past year or season that you want to incorporate into your visual reflections. Ideally it would be printed, but if you only have it on a screen, for inspiration, that is fine!
If you don't yet have a chosen word/theme for this coming year/season reflect on that if you have time but it's not necessary to have to participate in any of the exercises!
- Scratch paper
- Paper or journal suitable for your various favorite visual mediums (Watercolor, drawing, ink, acrylic, etc.)
- Pen and/or Pencil
- Favorite drawing or painting supplies (markers, colored pencils, ink, watercolor, textiles, etc. The sky is the limit.)
- A photo from this past year or season that you want to incorporate into your visual reflections. Ideally it would be printed, but if you only have it on a screen, for inspiration, that is fine!
- Scissors, glue, tape, and/or photo corners in case that you want to cut or paste photos or other materials onto your paper.
- Optional: Bring along additional souvenirs from your chosen moment: dried flowers, a saved note, collage materials, video, music you listened to at the time, art you've already made to inspire or include in your multimedia making.
About Julie Hotz
Julie A Hotz (she/they) is a freelance photographer, filmmaker, visual artist, union camera operator, graphic designer, and writer, based in California. Her love and practice of so many visual and storytelling mediums has brought her to the multimedia space in which she seeks to combine mediums in a variety of ways, use color, expand upon the human experience, and connect with others.
**These classes are intended to be live and interactive. If you can't make the class, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. For a full refund, please cancel at least 48 hours in advance.
Reserve a spot
Single ticket$35.00+$0.88 service fee