Tue, Oct 18|
Multimedia Journaling with Julie Hotz
Bring together photographs, writing, scans, and sketches.
Oct 18, 2022, 4:00 PM – 6:00 PM PDT
Though pictures are worth 1000 words, they don't tell us everything. Whether in the moment or in retrospect, adding more context to the photographs we take can add immense detail that we don't want to forget, and/or add unique visual and written components to a medium we are used to seeing alone or only paired with a small caption.
Inspired by Julie Hotz's work as a photographer and her deep love of graphic (novel) memoirs, she loves bringing together photographs, writing, scans, and sketches.
In this class we bring a photograph, recent or old, that we want to expand on––whether it brings up good memories, or there is a deeper story behind the scenes, etc. We will add other mediums alongside the headlining photograph: we will sketch, paint, write by hand, and get creative about other elements to bring into our multimedia storytelling process.
- Scratch paper
- Paper or journal suitable for your various favorite visual mediums (Watercolor, drawing, ink, acrylic, etc.)
- Pen and/or Pencil
- Favorite drawing or painting supplies (markers, colored pencils, ink, watercolor, textiles, etc. The sky is the limit.)
- A photo or two from any moment, trip, event, gathering, celebration, evening walk, etc. that you love and would like to expand on (the behind the scene story or surrounding details). If you can print the photos ahead of time, wonderful, if not, have them easily accessible on your phone, tablet, or laptop for easy reference and to hold up/share with the rest of the class.
- Scissors, glue, tape, and/or photo corners in case that you want to cut or paste photos or other materials onto your paper.
- Optional: Bring along additional souvenirs from your chosen moment: dried flowers, a saved note, collage materials, video, music you listened to at the time, art you've already made to inspire or include in your multimedia making.
About Julie Hotz
Julie A Hotz (she/they) is a freelance photographer, filmmaker, visual artist, union camera operator, graphic designer, and writer, based in California. Her love and practice of so many visual and storytelling mediums has brought her to the multimedia space in which she seeks to combine mediums in a variety of ways, use color, expand upon the human experience, and connect with others.
**These classes are intended to be live and interactive. If you can't make the class, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. For a full refund, please cancel at least 48 hours in advance.
Reserve a spot
Single ticket$35.00+$0.88 service fee